Collector Plate sliding 25 year policy

Home Forums Questions, Answers and News Updates Collector Plate sliding 25 year policy

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  GenYcollector August 3, 2017 at 11:10 am. This post has been viewed 2808 times

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Topsterguy
    Participant

Now that the modified collector plate has been moved up to 1974 , wouldn’t it be an idea to look at the regular collector plate year policy? The way it is now with the sliding 25 year rule every year brings newer cars into the program and in turn opens it up to more accidents , more claims, and more of a chance that ICBC will end the program. As of this year cars from 1992 and older will be allowed in , and truthfully what cars after the early 70’s are actually collectible? Sure there’s some limited production that could qualidy, but not every car up to 1992. Why not have it up to 1974 like the modified class and possibly “limited production” after that if needed? The idea of a sliding 25 year rule was ok in the beginning , but that was when cars were actually collectible, and left as it is the number of cars on the road with collector insurance will continue to rise and undoubtedly creat problems. . Another  thing to consider considering how popular it is to drive / build “original” hot rods and “unrestored” ones  might be to have a “survivor” class eligible for collector status. This would be the unrestored, original paint ( but no rust throughs) modified cars . In this class the owner could “sign off” on the paint and maybe the interior so that ICBC wouldn’t be responsible to repair those items in case of an accident.  Many of these cars are far more collectible even unrestored than cars in the 80’s and 90’s and shouldn’t be disqualified because the owner didn’t want to possibly devalue the car by restoring it and it losing it’s “originality”. They are only original once!  Just thoughts to ponder !!

#2652 Reply

Bob
    Site Admin

Fully understand what you are saying.
    Most of your points were addressed in a survey that ICBC conducted which closed on Aug 29/16. On March 18, 2017 they disclosed the results at the SVABC Annual General Meeting, so here they are:
    2522 responded, (very high response for a customer survey) with a majority support for the age criteria to stay as is.
    The survivor car issue will require much more input and support before a proposal can go forward to ICBC.
    Will make note of this.

Thanks for sharing

#2678 Reply

Topsterguy
    Participant

I have talked to several guys via emails, brekkys, lunch etc etc and it’s VERY hard to understand or believe that the majority of the respondents think that the sliding 25 year rule should remain – virtually everyone agrees that it will be the downfall of the program if left as it is. It would be very interesting to see what the years of the collector cars are that are owned by the respondents that apparently say the 25 year rule should remain……I would bet money that the majority are in the late 70’s up into the 90’s, and that being the case it would appear that the program is being used as cheap 2nd car insurance. I would guess that this same “majority” would have no interest in supporting the idea of ” survivor classification” either.  Kinda defeats the whole original purpose of the program doesn’t it?  Too bad.

#2687 Reply

Bob
    Site Admin

We have no access to detailed information about the survey, so unable to comment.
    For change to happen it requires substantial support.

#2943 Reply

GenYcollector

Just like to comment as a Gen Y car collector. I’m a car lover and appreciate cars of all cars.

I don’t agree with the comment that cars are not collectible after the 70s.

The market has shown cars of the 80s and 90s are just as collectible as cars from the 70s.  Values of cars such as BMW E30 m3, Honda NSX, Supra Turbo, Skyline GTR, Supra Turbos, Corolla GT-S, air cooled Porsches have increased or are increasing rapidly the past few years.

Cars that the Gen Y grew up with will start to become more sought after. Cars such as Honda CRX, Civics, Integra, DSMs, VW GTIs are the muscle cars of this generation. Acura Integra Type R prices have already gone up significantly recently.

I understand that the SVA does not have many younger members and I would just like to point out that there are many car collector out there with a entire different generation of car outside of the SVA. These cars might be less understood and appreciated by the people in the traditional “collector car” community, but the younger generation love their cars just as much and they are just as collectible.

I’m glad that the survey has shown that the majority believes the 25 yo sliding rule shall stay.

#2944 Reply

Bob
    Site Admin

Thanks for sharing, you bring many valid points to the table.

The SVABC is attracting younger members and it will continue to build over the years as younger car enthusiasts grow in their career and can afford to own a special ride.

The hobby will continue to evolve as it has for the past century, in fact it is increasing at a faster pace than ever. Each generation will have an era of vehicles for which they identify, it’s like a signature.

What is a car enthusiast; they have a love for cars, some will do major body and mechanical changes, some rims, tires, special paint and some will be proud to own an original production vehicle. Love and pride for vehicles.

Back in the day one might start with a 38 Ford and drop in a 48 Merc C59A flat head, bored .125 over, hi comp heads, performance cam, dual carbs, or drop in a Buick Nail head or Olds engine. Now you can see stroker engines with electronic fuel injection, or a crate engine with the latest electronics. The now generation is into getting major power increases out of a larger or twin turbo’s and intercoolers. My point is generically, the car enthusiast’s core desire hasn’t changed, it’s about being proud of the special ride you created. You are correct, the hobby is moving forward, just not always at the speed we desire.

In the large car shows like Good Guys they have sections set out for the Tuners, Lo Riders and in general cars of the younger enthusiasts.

Change will always face opposition however will always win over. We have a much more diverse population and vehicle selection today.

The SVABC represents all car enthusiats including motor cycles, regardless of era. The SVABC is the car enthusiasts voice in discussions with ICBC, it can be about registration, estate issues and much more. We look forward to the Gen Y becoming more involved in the SVABC so there voice can be heard as well.

We are stronger together than apart.

Enjoy the hobby

#2949 Reply

Topsterguy
    Participant

The collector program was started for cars that were collectible and not in production, not cars being presently made by the manufacturers,  and driven “occassionally” ( or often as in many cases) . The tuner cars and other “models” that genYcollector mentions are , for the most part, still in production and driven daily , big diference. What about all the “survivor” cars from the 20’s and up, the ones that have survived all those years with original paint , interior, etc , they’re not included because the paint is not brand new and flawless. To take these cars and “restore” them would destroy the originallity along with their value. There should be at least a “survivor clause” where if someone has an ORIGINAL  unrestored collector vehicle in exceptional condition they can get collector status even if it means “signing off” on paint / and or interior if there’s a claim. Owning and driving  these cars  is a HUGE part of the hobby now and should be considered as collector cars, as they are. The bottom line is you can’t compare collector cars from many years ago with the new cars, and if the new cars have to be included there just be changes to the program , possibly “pre 1974” and “post 1974”. There is no doubt that the program as it is will come apart eventually  as the numbers increase every year to allow new cars in and the accident numbers and claims increase.

#2968 Reply

GenYcollector

Hi Topster guy,

Just wondering what in your view is considered “new” cars?

Does that make the 1969 Camaro Z28 or a 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS or a 1990 BMW M3 Sport EVO not worthy of being collector car because new 2017 Camaro, 911 and M3s are still available?

I totally agree that collector plate vehicles that are used more than occasionally are totally against the spirit of the collector rules.

However, like Bob says, as a collector car community, we have to stand together and be stronger. By limiting vehicles to a certain year or older (eg 1974),  this community can only get smaller instead of larger.

The sliding year rule allows the collector community to grow as the younger generation are involved. Having a larger amount of people in the collector vehicle community makes it stronger, makes our voice louder.

#2969 Reply

Topsterguy
    Participant

Hey gen y! Well first of all I totally appreciate that there are new younger guys coming into the collector car thing and that’s great, and I totally appreciate that their likes , in many cases, are diferent from us old guys which is natural. As I mentioned before, my idea of collector cars is older cars that haven’t been in production for a long time ( day one up to the early 70’s) and possibly “limited edition” models from the later years. That’s just a rough idea, but basically what people might automatically refer to as “collector cars”. With the sliding 25 year rule as it is there’s no reason people with a 1992 Toyota corolla or Hundai SUV can’t get collector plates for them, all they need is another vehicle registered in their name. So they insure one car, put col plates on the Toyota, the husband drives the col car the wife drives the other car, and there’s lots of people doing that.  Personally I think the reg collector plates should be available to the same year as the modified, up to 74 , there should be a catagory for “limited production” newer cars after 74 based on the sliding 25 year rule staring at 1974, and there should be a catagory for “survivors” – nice, clean, rust and damage free cars up to ’74 that have original paint and interiors and the paint and interiors are acceptable to ICBC as collectors. These cars are at least as collectable as restored cars because of their orginality and would lose their value if they were stripped and painted. As I said before, several times, as the sliding 25 year thing keeps going we’re going to get more cars overall on the road under the col policies and more “run of the mill used cars” using the col policy wrongly, and more chances of accidents and claims.  ICBC knows that if they drop the program we’re going to insure our cars regardless at higher rates, giving them more money to skim off to the government, and this could lead to the reason they want to fold the program. As I said, virtually all of the people I’ve talked to agree with this so I wonder about the survey that was done.

#2970 Reply

GenYcollector

Hi Topsterguy,

As you understand, the younger generation likes are diferent from the older generation.

A plain Toyota Corolla might not be very collectible in some eye, but to the younger “Initial D” car enthusiast, a 1985-1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S is one of the holy grail cars for drifting. Despite selling a ton of them in the 80s. Many of them have been drifted, crashed, modified. Clean stock vehicles are near impossible to find now and command a huge premium.

My opinion is that we should concentrate on a way to limit the USE of their “collector” vehicles as 2nd cars.  And not limiting the amount of collector vehicles.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Collector Plate sliding 25 year policy
Your information: