Collector Plate

Home Forums Archive News Collector Plate

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Guest January 14, 2016 at 7:45 pm. This post has been viewed 1486 times

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Participant

I stand corrected…I was under the impression that what the car looks like was the initiative.

Having said that……If your car with bad paint is allowed, will Model A rat Rods with patch panels

and Mexican blanket seats then be allowed? Where would you draw the line with this?? I have a 54

Ford Wagon and it is shiny under the hood and a nice interior, but mostly original paint, scrapes,

bruises and worn off by the sun. I have blue and white plates on this car and I drive it with a more

cavalier attitude than our two collector plate cars. I am not concerned where I park with it and even

have hauled lumber home in it. I have no issues with the way things stand and have proudly paid my

dues to the SVABC for over 30 years !! Keith

Participant

Thanks. My daily driver is 35 years old and like your vehicle is pristine inside and in the engine compartment. The paint is bad which I believe was a GM fault at the time. I am paying $600 to drive this plus almost the same amount to drive my older vehicle annually. Rat rods are a good example but believe it or not some States consider them to be vintage, antique or whatever vehicles and tag them accordingly.

When I took my older vehicle to a cruise-in one night I made the big mistake of parking in one of the spots the “power-parkers” had used the week before. I am sure you know what a power parker is. Anyway one of the organizers asked me to move my old car so one of the plastic boys could have spot.

I still feel bothered that my true antique would be ignored versus a new-build fibreglass vehicle. The guys with the big cubic wallets can perhaps afford to have one built, but I can’t.

Having said all that I am still disappointed enough that I will not join the association.

Participant

Concerning rat rods I think it should all boil down to the condition of the car safety-wise. Some rat rods are so poorly built they should be used as lawn art only but many are well engineered (and expensive) rides. Frankly the term rat rod is a bad one. When I had my first car it what we called a jalopy. Billet and crate engines were not even heard of. Nor was the term rat rod. The car was safe and reliable but would not win a beauty contest.

Many States allow vintage, antique, horseless carriage plates on vehicles of a certain age and not all are pretty. I do not know if the owners benefit from reduced rates or not. In some States you can get a farmer’s plate for a truck and that insurance is even cheaper than ICBC’s collector rates.

Participant

I am surprised then maybe not, that no executive of the SVABC has responded to these comments. This has become a club for guys with big cubic wallets and the average Joe who wants to drive an old – but not pristine – vehicle is not invited. The idea of the SVABC was great initially but its become what its become.

Participant

I guess by not responding these SVA BC executives can escape the harsh comments this topic will create. Maybe if I had big cubic wallets like so many of their members then I might be able to buy into this. But I don’t and have found that collector cars or collector modified cars are what makes the SVA BC. Sadly its no longer a hobby for the regular blue collar worker who can’t spend $150,000 to have a “new” hot rod built.

Adios SVA BC

Participant

Oh for Christ sake you guys! Quit your damn sniveling. the SVOA is the only one that is trying to change the rule from 1958 to 1988. I am sure there will be more questions to be asked along the way but for Gods sake lets get the ball rolling. I have a 68 Chevelle and a very good friend has a 69. Both are modifies. Both are stored indoors most of the year. I put 2 tanks of fuel through mine in 2015 and he did not even burn a full one, Actually I guess I didn’t either as I topped off the second one and put in stabilizer. We would pay 1900 a year between the 2 of us and never put on a total of 200 miles. And for the guy that says. “that’s why I have never become a member” Then what the hell are you doing here voicing your opinion. No more negativity! My God I swear some of you must lay awake at night thinking about something to complain about. It’s not like anyone is making any money here and they are doing what they can to make the collector hobby more affordable. Not many are willing to do that because of the negativity some of you are putting out there. Get over yourself! You are not near as important as you might believe you are Too many good clubs have been destroyed or gone down the toilet because of people that just not can be pleased no matter how hard you try. Terry Krook terrykrook@gmail.com

Participant

Well said, Terry. \I am no big buck guy…..my cars are all home built cars and two of them have

collector plates because they qualify. As usual the whiners do not belong and do not contribute.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘News’ is closed to new topics and replies.