Sliding 25 Year cutoff fo

Home Forums Archive News Sliding 25 Year cutoff fo

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Guest January 13, 2013 at 10:42 am. This post has been viewed 560 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Larry
    Participant

vincrease prmiums , and we sure don’t want to see them squeezed out of bonuses!  My personal opinion is that a cutoff year of 1972 would be a good start.   Here we go!  😉

robinski
    Participant

Larry…………..couldn’t agree with you more. And next year, there is no doubt

we will have a change in government and the NDP is not old car friendly. That could

further impact how collector insurance is viewed.

Participant

I got my first set of collector plates when they were introduced, it is hard to believe that my daily driver back then a 1987 Camaro IROC-Z now qualifies for them. I was in my early twenties when I got the plates for my 65 GTO, it is two years older than me and I still have it. This post isn’t an arguement but something to think about. We should consider everyone that would be affected before changes are made, like the next generation, everyone says get the kids involved so they will carry on the collector car hobby. If it wasn’t for the current economy most young people wouldn’t be able to afford most of the pre 1973 collector cars so these 25 year old cars of the 1980’s are it for them and if they spend their money to either maintain them or bring them up to the collector plate qualifying standards I believe they deserve a break on insurance costs just like we did. Also, there are some post 1972 cars that are highly collectible and should also qualify, one that comes to mind is the 1973-74 SD455 Pontiac Trans Am. I am currently working on two 1974 International pickups, one my dad bought new, when is the last time you saw one? I will have more money into these than they are worth but they are what I like and I will be somewhat disappointed if I won’t be able to get collector plates for them, I say “somewhat” because now that I have moved back to Vancouver Island I won’t have to Aircare a vehicle that I rarely drive and I will at least be able to get regular plates for it.

Participant

Personally I just don’t agree with the idea of allowing collector plates on anything just because 1t meets a year criteria, it should be “collectable”, that’s what the program started for in the beginning. If you check most of the states and provinces that have a similar program you’ll find that they use 1972 as a cutoff,possibly because that’s when all the smog stuff started and the engines were detuned a lot. Possibly if they continued with the sliding 25 year thing there could be some sort of guidelines that would decide if a car was in fact collectible ( limited production, special options etc) , but to accept a vehicle just because it meets the year qualification I think is wrong.

Participant

Very interesting discussion, I think enforcement is a must if we want the standards to be met, possibly be police, they are the eyes on the road people; with Collector vehicles sitting at schools or work places. Plate numbers could be reported and the individual called in to a claims center for a vehicle inspection and review of legal use. Also there is a $250.00 fine for no valid insurance

Participant

Be sure to research the car pltney.New York State has very strict safety and emissions requirements.If you buy the car and it won’t pass the emissions test or the NYS Safety inspection, you won’t be able to register it, and the guy you buy the car from won’t have to give you your money back.You may have to stop in Virginia at the DMV office there, they may have some type of in-transit permit to allow for out of state purchases. You could even call a car dealership down there to find out Virginia’s special requirements.Once you buy the car and bring it back to NYS, you will have to take the Virginia title and the bill of sale to your local DMV office. You will have to pay tax on the selling price of the car. You will have to pay $50 for a title application to convert it from a VA title to a NY title. You will also have to pay for a new 2 year registration (approx $60.00) and they will issue your plates there at the counter. You will need to prove insurance at the time too.

Transambird
    Site Admin

I disagree with that there should be any changes to the program as far as the 25 year rule. I have been involved in the car hobby for many years, and I run into this attitude often from certain generations often. This idea that nothing past 1972 is collectable is nothing but a baby boomer ideology and is back up with no facts. The motive is generally to lock the average guy out of the program and make it an exclusive club for those who can afford the older collectable vehicles only.” If you don’t have 60K, you don’t get to play” is the saying I have heard and that attittude is a sure way to kill our hobby all together. As far as cars into the 70’s 80’s and even the 90’s being collectable goes, if anyone has watched the market for these cars over the last several years then the market definatly supports the agrument that they are collectable. each generation of car lovers falls in love with the cars of there generation. The baby boomers were lucky enough to experience the “golden era” of automotive history in the 20th century. Many of the great cars were born of that era, Camaro. Mustang, Cuda, XKE, Shelbys etc etc. there is no denying that this generation of cars made their mark on history. Bu the generations to come, also had their cars, many of them variants of those very “golden age” cars. I myself being born in 1974 grew up with the “Smokey and the Bandit” Trans Am, the KITT Trans Am, the 80’s Camaros’s, Mustangs, 442’s, Hurst Olds, Buick Grand Nationals and the list goes on and on. We grew to love these cars because they were the cars of our age. Did they perform like the cars of old, obviously not in a straight line, but many of them became great handling and driving cars in their own right. So with all this being said, I proudly own my 1981 Trans Am with its collector plates. I drive it to shows and out to the lake in the summer, and watch it sit and collect dust by winter. The argument that cars like mine, or other cards similar to it put the program in jeapordy are nothing but scare tactics used by people who want to exclude others from one of the greatest hobbys in North America and around the world. The facts cleary show that several of the violators of the program are not the cars of the 80’s, but the exact “golden age” car owners that are supposed to be the “serious collectors.” I have seen it up close and personal with these older cars and have often wondered “how did that guy get a collector plate?” For the good of everyone who loves the automotive hobby, its time to stop bickering over this item and move forward to help expand our program and to get younger generations invested in the hobby. We don’t need to send a great program “backwards” what we need to do is work together to improve it, police it, and ensure that all car people get enjoy that same love for this hobby that we all have. Together, we can make this association even stronger, but divided, we invite ruin to all that we represent.

Cheers

KR

Transambird
    Site Admin

Robonski,

Your correct, we very well may have a new government soon enough. The one thing I do know, is that if we don’t speak with one voice, and show that we support a fair program for all collector car owners that NDP will not look upon it with favour. If the SVABC becomes fragmented over an issue such as this it effects us all as car folks, and that includes the owners of the older cars. Its time to look at this issue with reason and facts and not just ideology. The Collector plate program is a great program for ALL car collectors, and no one group should get to descriminate against the others just because they happen to not have the same taste in cars.

KR

Participant
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘News’ is closed to new topics and replies.